Did you know that in China people prefer taking tea even during the summer heat?. The Chinese believe that it provides a cooling effect on the body. Most people cannot imagine starting their day without a cup of tea. Now, what is in tea that makes it the most favoured drink for centuries? Is it its rich aroma? Or the many health benefits it comes with, such as reducing stress? Or it’s the ability to aid in weight loss?
People drink tea both for enjoyment and to get its numerous health benefits. There are many varieties of tea available all over the globe. If you consider yourself to be a tea lover, then you will prefer only the finest varieties. You will not settle for just any tea but will look for the best. Below are the seven most expensive and valued teas in the world.
1. Da-Hong Pao Tea
The name means “Big Red Robe”. The Chinese Oolong tea takes the top honours at offering the most expensive teas in the world. Its price ranges between $1200 and $1400 per gram. Two factors contribute to the incredible price tag.
The Da Hong Pao trees are scarce. Its mellow flavour, sweet scent and smokiness are quite hard to come across. There are only 6 mother trees left in the world. They grow in the Wuyi Mountains of China on a preserved temple land, guarded by armed guards.
In addition, a Ming Dynasty emperor attested to his mother getting cured of an illness after taking the secret tea. The secrete tea is the Da Hong Pao. Therefore, it is an integral part of the Chinese culture, reserved for only the most dignified occasions.
Related Article: Da Hong Pao Tea: Everything You Need to Know
Da-Hong Pao Tea Benefits
- It improves digestion. It has antioxidants which boost your metabolism. Thus, it makes your stomach process food faster. It also breaks down your food, ensuaring that the intestines have an easier time absorbing the necessary nutrients and getting rid of the waste product.
- It facilitates weight loss. The tea aids the stomach in getting rid of fats, and as mentioned earlier, increases metabolism. However, it works best when combined with dieting and healthy eating.
- It improves the health of your heart as it lowers cholesterol. Also, it prevents coronary artery disease by preventing plaque buildup along the arterial walls
- It promotes mental alertness. It contains moderate caffeine level, which will ensure you remain focused and alert throughout the day. The tea also contains L-theanine amino acid which soothes and calms the brain
- It boosts immunity. Da Hong Pao provides the body with the necessary vitamins and minerals needed in fighting diseases. Besides, it is an antioxidant, which means it helps in the regeneration of white blood cells. Thus, building up the immune system to fight diseases caused by viruses and bacteria.
- It prevents premature ageing. The antioxidants found in the tea are essential if you want to reverse premature ageing. If taken daily, it can help you regain your beauty as it gets rid of wrinkles, dark spots and skin roughness.
- It prevents cancer. It prevents damages to cells, which causes cancer.
2. PG Tips Diamond Tea Bag
The famous British Tea Company celebrated its 75th anniversary by launching a handmade tea bag collection. The launch was in the year 2005. Each tea bag has 280 diamonds studs that make it very costly.
Why did the company decide to make diamond studded teabags? Well, the idea was to raise money to support the Manchester Children’s Hospital. Later, the idea seemed appealing to the manufacturers who continued selling it for $15,000 per packet. The tea is the Silver Tips Imperial Tea harvested from Makibari Estate. In the whole world, this is the most expensive Darjeeling tea.
3. Panda Dung Tea
It is not that you take manufactured panda’s droppings. Actually, the fertilizer for growing the specific tree type is the panda bear’s poop. It grows in Ya’an Mountain in Sichuan province, China. However, you must have a heavy bank account for you to taste this tea. It cost per kilogram is $ 7,000.
Panda Dung Tea Benefits
- Prevention of cancer. People believe the tea has cancer preventing elements
4. Tieguanyin Tea
It is an Oolong tea, which is a mixture of fermented green and black tea. The name Tieguanyin means it is a semi-oxidized tea which consists of both fully oxidized black tea and un-oxidized green tea. It grows in the mountains of Anxi County in Fujin province, China. It is popular for its rich chestnut taste.
The most interesting thing about this tea is that you can take it several times before it begins to lose its taste. Somehow, this guarantees some return on your investment. However, it comes with some work as you have to boil it several times for it to retain its odour, colour and taste.
Tieguanyin Tea Processing Method
- Pluck the tea leaves
- Wither them in the sun
- Wither them with some oxidation
Sometimes the teas go through an additional process of roasting and scenting.
The numerous extra efforts invested in making the tea explain why it is more expensive than ordinary tea. It costs $3,000 per kilogram.
Tieguanyin Tea Benefits
- It helps in clearing fungal infections.
- It eases acid reflux, sluggish digestion and stomach aches.
- Strengthening of bones. Researchers state that this particular Oolong tea can help prevent osteoporosis. It does this by providing stronger and denser bones.
- It has an antioxidant which can help detour premature ageing, prevent heart disease and cancer.
- It motivates body exercise.
- It has caffeine, which helps in increasing energy.
5. Vintage Narcissus Wuyi Oolong Tea
Like the Da Hong Pao tea, this specific Oolong tea grows in the Wuyi Mountains. It is oxidized 60% if its lifetime and it tastes even better as it ages. It is fired up once in every two years as a measure to prevent spoiling of the aged tea. Firing up ensures extra moisture dries out.
All thanks to the distinct flavour of its wood, flower and chocolate, the tea stands as the world’s most expensive tea. It sells for $6,500 per kilogram. Before the tea reaches the market, it goes through a 12 step processing system.
Vintage Narcissus Wuyi Oolong Tea Benefits
- It has all the benefits of Oolong teas.
6. Poo(s) Poo Pu-Erh Tea
The name of this tea says it all. The tea is not made from the leaves of any plant but the poo of different insects. The tea comes from Yunnan province, China. It is difficult to collect the insect’s pop as the farmers have to handpick them with tweezers. The farmers, later on, identify the insect pop with the aid of a magnifying lens
Although it may seem crazy and disgusting, the tea has a very nice flavour and is popular globally for its healing and curing properties. Due to the hard work invested in the collection, the tea sells at $1000 per kilogram. Also, it tastes better as it ages, making its price go up with time.
Poo(s) Poo Pu-Erh Tea Benefits
- It has antibacterial properties. It helps protect you from bacteria like the E. coli.
- It lowers cholesterol
- Helps to manage blood sugars.
- Reduction of stress and anxiety. The tea provides you with a soothing and calm feeling.
- It is an antioxidant. The tea helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
- It is an anti-inflammatory. It soothes arthritis pain, eases swelling and redness.
- It facilitates beauty therapy. The tea is a facial toner. Also, it offers treatment remedy for mild skin concerns. It helps in clearing acne.
- It promotes the production of melatonin, which is essential when it comes to sleep regulation.
7. Yellow Gold Tea Buds
The tea is expensive because real 24-carat gold coats each leaf. It is the rarest type of tea since it is collected in one area and its harvest occurs once a year. It originates from Singapore. The tea prepared after the leaves open out has a golden hue which is believed to be good for a person’s health. Also, it is expensive because it is rare just as the gold in tea is. It goes for $1,000 per kilogram.
Yellow Gold Tea Benefits
- It is good for consumption by expectant mothers.
- It prevents diabetes. Studies prove that Polyphenols improves symptoms of diabetes type 2
- Very good for the liver. It helps prevent the formation of fatty liver. The polyphenols help in the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease as it helps in the reduction of fat metabolism in the liver.
- It helps in the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disorder. The Yellow tea’s antioxidant assists in the treatment of inflammations caused by gastric injuries.
- It facilitates weight loss. The major Polyphenol type in the tea is the EGCG. In a research study done on the mice, it showed the ability to increase metabolism, thus combats obesity. Also, the tea gives satiety while at the same time increasing energy expenditure.
As a tea lover I know you are looking for the most comprehensive information on the best tea in the globe. The above list should help you learn and give you the knowledge to choose the best of a kind for purchase. You should give yourself a chance to taste not only a pricey tea but also very rare kind.